The Best Legislative Victories in the Past Decade
The past 10 years was a period of accomplishments in the legislative arena. These victories have truly impacted society in a positive light. Below are the best 30 legislative victories of the past decade:
1. Affordable Care Act (2010)
The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, provided health insurance to 20 million Americans who were previously uninsured.
2. 21st Century Cures Act (2016)
The 21st Century Cures Act increased funding and support for medical research and development.
3. Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (2008)
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act require health insurance plans to provide equal coverage for both physical and mental illnesses.
4. Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (2008)
The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act amended the Americans with Disabilities Act to provide better accessibility to those with disabilities.
5. Defense of Marriage Act Repeal (2013)
The Defense of Marriage Act Repeal legalized same-sex marriage throughout the United States.
6. Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act (2009)
The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act expanded federal hate crime protections to individuals targeted because of their sexual identity or gender identity.
7. Every Student Succeeds Act (2015)
The Every Student Succeeds Act reauthorized the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, providing state and local officials more autonomy in educational policy-making and program implementation.
8. Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act (2010)
The Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act boosted funding for Pell Grants and invested in community college education.
9. Educational Amendments (2008)
The Educational Amendments increased protections for pregnant and parenting students and lowered the cost of textbook materials.
10. Paris Climate Agreement (2015)
The Paris Climate Agreement committed 195 countries, including the United States, to reducing greenhouse gas emissions to combat climate change.
11. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (2009)
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act invested in clean energy and formalized new, green jobs.
12. Frank R. Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act (2016)
The Frank R. Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act mandated manufacturers and the Environmental Protection Agency to conduct thorough testing and screen chemicals on the market, ensuring safe exposure rates for consumers.
13. Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (2018)
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act reduced taxes on individuals and businesses and encouraged loan forgiveness for public-service careers.
14. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Enhancement Act (2023)
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Enhancement Act sought to expand access to care by lowering costs for consumers buying health insurance.
15. Congressional-Executive Commission on China (2018)
The Congressional-Executive Commission on China conducted human rights investigations and limited business with China for abuse concerns.
16. Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (2008)
The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act enhanced protections for children using toys and other products.
17. Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act (2014)
The Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act legalized the unlocking of cell phones by its user for use through different carriers.
18. Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (2010)
The Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act provided satellite users traditional network broadcasting and kept rural consumers-connected financially to local US sites.
19. Fair Sentencing Act (2010)
The Fair Sentencing Act drastically lowered the disparity between convictions of crack-cocaine and powder-cocaine for equal sentencing.
20. Diplomatic Immunity Clarification Act (2008)
The Diplomatic Immunity Clarification Act claimed employee diplomatic immunity could no longer shield against legal recourse in the US for district crimes.
21. Supporting America’s Innovators Act of 2017
The Supporting America’s Innovators Act expanded access to capital for entrepreneurs and startups.
22. Military Spouses Residency Relief Act (2009)
The Military Spouses Residency Relief Act permitted military parents with spouse needing out-of-state access to natural-duty and voting benefit services.
23. Wounded Warrior Act (2008)
The Wounded Warrior Act established mental health services and improved health services for veteran soldiers.
24. Caregivers and Veterans Comprehensive Assistance Law (2010)
The Caregivers and Veterans Comprehensive Assistance Law provided disability compensation and forms altered reform for veteran and caregiving benefits.
25. Housing and Economic Recovery Act (2008)
The Housing and Economic Recovery Act permitted thrift savings government borrowing in providing capital reimbursement construction loans for able real estate depository institutions.
26. Travel Promotion Act (2009)
The Travel Promotion Act heightened international leisure traffic by increased promotion of the USA.
27. Jobs Act (2012)
The Jobs Act facilitated employment opportunities by funding privately run start-ups temporary applications and broaden regulations about stocks traded on privately catered companies.—not just organized on public domains.
28. Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (2012)
The Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act advanced funding for American roadway and transportation measures, grants included.
29. Fatigue Risk Management Plan Rule (2009)
The Fatigue Risk Operational-Level Plan sought to reduce transit accidents by mitigating driver fatigue in transportation-based professions.
30. Buenos Aires Convention (low disturbance air transport) (2008)
The Buenos Aires pact hopes to widen the sweep of enjoyment submitted through larger travel connection precision, similar safety & security standards, equivalent rights, open communication services.
These legislative victories reigned true in the past decade, signifying how lawmakers can come together bringing hope for citizens from all back walks of life. The future holds promise, affording for the expectation of creating and ratifying even greater long-lasting accomplishments!